Normal delivery sounds normal, but it is actually birthing your child without drugs, and for almost 85% of pregnant women, the natural birth of a child is achievable. Though normal delivery isn’t easy, as a marathon can be run with training, the child can be delivered normally if a pregnant mother practices several exercises in the right form during her pregnancy. Pregnancy is not all about shopping for adorable koala boy boutique clothing and making memories.
Here are 15 easy to do pregnancy exercises that will help prepare your body for normal delivery. But make sure before practicing these exercises you must:
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes and footwear
- Drink plenty of water and control room temperature.
- Tilt your head right and left – 1 set of 10 reps
- Nod your head up and down– 1 set of 10 reps
- Head circles, Arm and Shoulder circles (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 5 reps
- Side lunges – 1 set of 5 reps
1st Trimester Pregnancy Exercises For Normal Delivery
About the first 3 months of pregnancy; 1st trimester is considered to be the most crucial period of pregnancy. Family members and doctors advise you against weightlifting or any strenuous activity but you can perform a few low-intensity exercises as per the advice of your doctor or therapist.
- Wall slide
Stand against a wall with shoulders relaxed, head leaning back, buttocks posed against wall and feet hip-width apart. After maintaining the posture follow these steps;
- Press your arms against the wall by flexing your knees slightly in a way that your forearm and upper arms have an angle of 90 degrees.
- Now by slowly straightening your elbow and extending your arms overhead press the back of your palms and wrists to the wall. Give these steps 5 reps to complete 1 set.
- Keep your body in balance and you can stop whenever you feel uncomfortable
Lie on the floor with knees flexed, place 1 arm underneath your head, and other over the body. Heels must be on top of another and do the steps;
- Raise your legs as much as you can by keeping heels together to make it look like a clamshell opening. Give it a pause and then return to the initial position and do this for 5 reps.
- Practice the same exercise by lying down on the other side. Do not stretch your legs too much and stop when you feel uneasy.
- Bridges/ Hip Raise
Lie on your back with flexed knees, feet must be flat on the ground, and arms extended into thighs. Do the steps
- Slowly raise your hips so that your torso must be in line with shoulders.
- Give it a pause then come back to the starting position. Do this step for 5 reps, your body must be well supported by arms and feet.
2nd Trimester Pregnancy Exercises For Normal Delivery
During week 13 – week 27 of pregnancy; 2nd trimester, morning sickness, and nausea subside. Mother can feel the movement of the baby. The uterus will start to stretch this time, and the mother will experience abdominal cramps. Seek the advice of your doctor to practice these exercises during this time as workout will not be much safe.
- Pelvic Tilt
Attain a cat pose by placing the palms flat on the floor and toes pointing towards the floor.
- Arch your spine, lower your head between shoulders to make your background.
- Be in this pose for 5 secs, come back to the initial position, and repeat for 5 reps.
- Stop at your unease.
- Downward Dog
Attain a cat pose, press wide fingers against the floor with toes tucked to the floor. Do the steps;
- Lift hips up with fully stretched hands, head down and heels touching the floor,
- Flex right knee, hold it for a second then straighten your leg. Repeat the same process with the left knee.
- Give this step 5 reps then lower your body and attain a child’s pose.
- Lying Cobbler Pose
Lie on your back near a wall. Stretch your legs in this way that your feet touch the wall. Do the steps;
- Keep the soles of feet together, flex your knees, and open your legs. Then slowly bring the legs down keeping the feet together. Give it a pause of 1 second.
- Then place your palms on the knee sides to press your legs. Feel the stretch in your hips and inner thighs.
- To complete 1 set give 5 reps. Make sure to relax between the reps.
- Modified Side Plank
Lie on your left side with knees bent at 90 degrees. Keep the left hand on the floor to support the body with 90 degrees angle between the forearm and upper arm. Do the following steps right hand to be placed on the waist.
- With knees and forearm support raise your torso up, feel the stretch in your abs, pack, and obliques. Hold this pose for a second and then come back to the initial position
- Do this with the right side. 3 repetitions will make 1 complete set.
3rd Trimester Pregnancy Exercises For Normal Delivery
The week 28-week40; 3rd Trimester of pregnancy is the most challenging period for mother both physically and emotionally. As the baby is ready to deliver, the anxiety of the pregnant mother peaks at this time. But few exercises can help the mother in reducing the pressure.
- Pelvic stretches
Sit on the exercise ball very comfortably. Your back must be flat, now follow the steps;
- Place your feet wider than shoulder-width apart on the ground
- Move your pelvis forward and back to feel the stretches.
- Repeat this process 20 times with 3 repetitions in each set.
Practising this exercise alone is not recommended. Ask any helper around you to hold the exercise ball as you sit on it.
- Start by joining the palms and by keeping your feet apart approximately shoulder-width.
- Deeply inhale and assume a sitting position by lowering your hips. After holding for 1 second exhale then come back to the initial position.
- Now, keep the elbows against the thigh inside, push your thighs to open your hips, and squat again. Do 5 reps for 1 set.
For coming back to the starting position get the support by pressing the floor down with fingertips. You can use a low rise stool to sit as the squat pose is difficult and uncomfortable to hold for too long.
- Upper Back Stretch
By keeping your back straight, sit comfortably on an exercise mat. Follow the steps;
- Put your right hand on your left knee and your left hand on your back. Inhale while doing this.
- Now come back to the initial position and exhale and make sure not to twist your body while doing this.
- Repeat the same with the left hand. 1 set will require 10 repetitions.
All of these pregnancy exercises reduce the chances of C- section and may result in the normal delivery of a healthy baby with reduced labor pain. As always, consult with your OB-Gyne first to be sure that you and your little bun in the oven are both fit enough and safe to practice these exercise routines. Before going to shop for baby cousin onesie follow these above-mentioned exercises and enjoy a normal happy delivery!